Date Published: 19/03/2012
Police and Crime Commissioner
On 15 November 2012, elections will be held in South Wales to elect the first Police and Crime Commissioner.
The Police and Crime Commissioner, or PCC, will replace the Police Authority. This individual will be responsible for overseeing the Chief Constable, and representing the public.
The overall responsibility for the PCC will be to maintain an effective and efficient police service by holding the Chief Constable to account.
Other duties include:
- Appoint and, if necessary, dismiss the Chief Constable;
- Set policing priorities and produce an Annual Plan;
- Set the annual police budget and council tax precept;
- Publish Annual Report and Accounts;
- Consult with and involve the public.